Give 2-1-1 some love
Thursday, February 8, 2018
Contributor: Susan Perri, Marketing and Communications Specialist at United Way Fox Cities
We are celebrating a holiday this month that might not be on your calendar…National 2-1-1 Day is February 11! (Get it? 2/11.) Although National 2-1-1 Day may not be as well-known as its neighbor-holiday a few days later, Valentine’s Day, we think it deserves lots of love too. Why do we love 2-1-1 so much? Well, let me count the whys:
- You won’t find this kind of service on Google. When callers dial 2-1-1 they reach an information referral specialist (a person!), who listens to their concerns or questions and then connects them to a local social service agency, government office, or provider who can address their question or need.
- No one needs to know. Any concerns you share with the information and referral specialist are strictly confidential.
- It’s free! Could that price get any better? Because of donors to United Way Fox Cities (if you are one of them, thank you!), callers can use 2-1-1’s services at no cost.
- When you need us, we’re here. You can call 2-1-1 at all hours of the day or night. Call specialists are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- We speak your language. 2-1-1 contracts with a translation service so there is no language barrier too big to get you the help you need. Also, if you need teletypewriter (TTY) services, we have that too – just dial 7-1-1.
- Are we there yet? The answer is “yes!” You can call 2-1-1 from anywhere in Wisconsin and get connected to the services you need. In fact, nationally, 2-1-1 covers 93.5% of the population.
There are so many reasons to love 2-1-1! Last year, our local United Way 2-1-1 call center connected nearly 12,000 Wisconsin residents to resources in our 10-county area, including food, clothing, counseling, employment, health care, legal aid, shelter, and veteran/military services.
So, let 2-1-1 feel the love this month by spreading the word…tell your friends, family, neighbors, and co-workers that 2-1-1 is here to help in times of need or, if you simply have a question about what services are available in your community. Wishing you a very happy National 2-1-1 Day!
Visit 211now.org to learn more.