United Way's Fox Cities Diaper Bank
a member of the National Diaper Bank Network
Support United Way’s Fox Cities Diaper Bank
Note: Diaper donations to the Fox Cities Diaper Bank can be delivered to United Way Fox Cities, 1455 Midway Road, Menasha, WI 54952.
Volunteer for United Way’s Fox Cities Diaper Bank
Volunteer at a Fox Cities Diaper Bank repacking event during one of the following dates/times:
No Repacks Currently Scheduled
Please Check Back for Dates in January 2021
Diapers are repacked into standard size packages to ensure that each recipient receives the same amount of diapers, no matter which diaper bank distribution agency they use. Repacking is easy, but does require the ability to stand for the 2 hour period.
Location: Valley Packaging Industries, 110 N Kensington Dr, Appleton, WI 54915
Minimum age to volunteer is 14. Volunteers between the ages of 14 and 16 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Volunteers between the ages of 16 and 18 must obtain consent of parent or guardian.
Note: If your group of 6-8 people would like to volunteer for a date/time not listed above, please contact Deb Schmidt at 920-735-5468 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What is the Fox Cities Diaper Bank?
- Why it is important?
- What are we doing?
- How does the Fox Cities Diaper Bank work?
- How can I get help from the Fox Cities Diaper Bank?
- How can I help support the Fox Cities Diaper Bank?
- Host a Diaper Drive!
- Diaper Need Awareness Week
- Links to additional diaper bank resources
The mission of the Fox Cities Diaper Bank is to raise the community's awareness of the need for diapers to assist low income families in meeting their diaper needs.
The groundbreaking Every Little Bottom Study, commissioned by Kimberly-Clark's Huggies® brand reveals diaper need is a critical issue in the United States among low income families. According to the study, 1 in 3 American families struggle with diaper need (not having enough diapers for their baby).
The Huggies® research reinforced studies done by United Way Fox Cities’ Basic Needs & Self-Sufficiency Impact Area that diaper need is a real concern for many families in the Fox Cities. This need resulted in the decision to establish the Fox Cities Diaper Bank, an initiative of United Way Fox Cities, which launched in 2011.
In low-income households a baby may be in a single diaper all day, increasing the risk of health problems, from skin disease to hepatitis. Access to a sufficient supply of diapers is essential for the health of our Fox Cities infants, but too many people do not have the resources to adequately provide for this basic need.
- A healthy change of diapers costs $100.00/month or more for all ages.
- An infant uses up to 12 diapers a day, a toddler up to 8 per day.
Parents who cannot afford to provide required disposable diapers for child care, often leave the workforce until their children are out of diapers. Without enough diapers for routine changes, parents feel distressed and find the job of parenting more stressful.
United Way Fox Cities serves as the lead in the coordination/collection of diapers, which are then delivered to designated agencies, and distributed directly to families in need.
The success of diaper drives conducted by local businesses, service organizations and Post-Crescent Media’s Donations for Diapers Campaign are vital to sustaining a true bank of diapers with adequate inventory. On an annual basis, the diaper bank is distributing about 400,000 diapers to local families in need. An average of 900 children receive diapers on a monthly basis.
The diaper bank collects, stores, and helps distribute diapers to struggling low-income families. Diapers are obtained through financial donations and local community diaper drives.
Our diaper donations are inventoried and stored at Valley Packaging Industries. Once the diapers are inventoried, they are transferred to local community agencies for distribution to other nonprofit agencies or directly to families and children in need.
If you reside in the Fox Cities service area, the Fox Cities Diaper Bank is a possible resource for your family. Distribution of the diapers collected and purchased through the Fox Cities Diaper Bank is currently done primarily through local agencies. To receive diapers, you must first apply and qualify for services at one of the partner organizations distributing diapers for the Fox Cities Diaper Bank:
- B.A.B.E.S., Inc. Respite & Counseling Service
- Calumet County Public Health
- Community 2000 Program through Valley Packaging Industries
- Harbor House Domestic Abuse Programs
- Hortonville Community Food Pantry
- Hope Center
- Phone: 920-739-0039
- Outagamie County Dept. of Health and Human Services - Children, Youth and Family Division
- Outagamie County Birth to 3 Early Intervention Program through Valley Packaging Industries
- Parent Connection - Family Services of Northeast WI
- Website: http://www.pillarsinc.org
- St. Joseph Food Program
- The Salvation Army - Fox Cities
- The Salvation Army, Outagamie County Service Extension
- Winnebago County Health Dept. - WIC Program
At the present time, the Fox Cities Diaper Bank is stocked with sizes newborn and 1-6 diapers. Please check with the agencies because their internal inventory may have changed due to demand. Diapers are available at no cost to eligible families.
If you need additional help, please call United Way 2-1-1 by dialing 2-1-1 or 1-800-924-5514 for free, confidential local information and referrals, available 24/7.
- Make a financial donation: Checks can be made out to Fox Cities Diaper Bank and mailed to United Way Fox Cities, 1455 Midway Road, Menasha, WI 54952.
- Donate diapers. We will accept open packages. United Way Fox Cities serves as a drop collection site for all diaper donations to the Fox Cities Diaper Bank.
- Host a diaper drive.
- Volunteer to repack diapers or help with inventory.
- In lieu of gifts or favors for weddings, birthdays, and baby shower ask for diapers.
- Spread the word to your family and friends about diaper need through email, blogs, Facebook and Twitter.
- Download the Fox Cities Diaper Bank logo
- Visit the National Diaper Bank Network "Host a Diaper Drive" toolkit for resources
- Contact Rhonda Hannemann, Community Development Program Officer at United Way Fox Cities for more information.
Thank you to the companies, organizations, and individuals who conducted diaper drives or collected donations to purchase diapers!
1 in 3 American families struggle with diaper need, not having enough diapers for their baby. Annually, Diaper Need Awareness Week (DNAW) draws national attention to this consequence of poverty.
A key activity of DNAW is the securing of state and local proclamations. Currently 19 Governors, 2 state legislatures and 38 municipalities have issued proclamations at the request of National Diaper Bank Network-member diaper banks and/or supporters. In 2020, Governor Tony Evers issued a proclamation in Wisconsin recognizing diaper need.
You can help by donating dollars or diapers. You can also lead diaper drives, discuss child poverty issues, or talk #DiaperNeed on social media; let us know what you will do to help keep babies clean, dry, and healthy.
Infographics and illustrations provided by the National Diaper Bank Network: