Our goal: children, youth, and adults are healthy.
Impact Area Vision Statement
Every community member has access to quality and innovative health and crisis intervention services, and the opportunity to achieve optimal health and wellness through coordinated care and educational programs.
What is this Impact Area focused on?
- Improving access to medical and dental care for the uninsured and under-insured.
- Provide additional resources for those with substance abuse issues, especially if the abuse is co-mingled with mental health issues.
Why is this important?
Based on data from the LIFE Study, an assessment of living in the Fox Cities, the community identified youth safety and youth mental health as two of the top four issues. The data from the LIFE Study and the Youth Risk Behavior Survey showed that:
- 59% of youth experienced at least one poor mental health day in the past 30 days and 39% experienced three or more poor mental health days.
- 22% reported feeling so sad or hopeless almost every day for the past two weeks that they stopped doing some usual activities.
- 15% seriously considered suicide, almost 14% made a plan for suicide and 12% attempted suicide.
- 27% of youth experienced bullying at school and 18% were bullied online.
- 10% reported being forced to take part in sexual activity.
- 60% of youth experienced at least one poor physical health day in the past 30 days and 30% experience three or more poor physical health days.
What are we doing?
United Way is working to ensure that needed care is available for all residents regardless of age or ability to pay. We support programs that provide physical care, dental care and mental health services. In addition, the Impact Area created United Way's PATH for Students program to improve access to mental health services for area youth. Click here to learn more about United Way's PATH for Students.
United Way also supports programs that work with victims of sexual assault and domestic violence.
What will your gift fund?
- Prevention education for sexual assault and domestic violence