Our goal: individuals and families are financially stable.
Impact Area Vision Statement
Individuals' and families' basic needs are met in a timely manner through a coordinated system of resources, providing them opportunities to achieve their highest potential.
What is this Impact Area focused on?
- Improve employment readiness skills among disadvantaged young adults, displaced workers and low-income individuals.
- Improve access to transportation for elderly, disabled and low-income working individuals and families.
- Improve availability and access to safe, adequate shelter and affordable housing for disadvantaged individuals and families struggling with homelessness and domestic violence.
- Improve availability and access to healthy food and essential personal care items for low-income, disadvantaged individuals and families.
- Promote financial literacy to strengthen money management skills, providing financial stability among low-income individuals and families.
Why is this important?
According to the 2011 LIFE Study, a community assessment of the Fox Cities, local individuals and families are experiencing challenges in meeting their basic needs. Some schools reported a growing number of their students qualifying for free or reduced-price hot lunch and that 16% of youth reported going hungry. Low-income housing needs have been addressed by area organizations, however, more than 40% of renters paid more for rent than they can afford. Our community has been impacted by the economy. The income gap between rich and poor is less than the state or national averages, but the gap grew by 9% locally. A primary concern identified through the LIFE Study pertains to employment opportunities.
What are we doing?
United Way supports programs that address the basic needs of individuals and families.
What will your gift fund?
- Programs that provide food and other basic need items to individuals and families
- Shelter services for individuals and families who are homeless and or escaping domestic violence
- Programs that help people improve their budgeting and financial management skills
- Transportation services for older adults and persons with disabilities
- Assistance for low income individuals struggling with civil legal issues
- Programming for individuals working to improve their employment opportunities