Diapers make a difference
Thursday, September 27, 2018
Kimberly-Clark Corporation employees helped out at the Fox Cities Diaper Bank during Diaper Need Awareness Week September 24–30 2018.
Contributor: Nanci Micke, Vice President of Marketing and Communications at United Way Fox Cities
This weekend we had house guests that have a beautiful one-year old daughter. She is almost walking on her own and had lots of smiles for everyone. Having a little one in the house again was a reminder about how often a baby needs to have a diaper changed. My friends are both teachers, and although buying diapers is an added expense for them, they can afford to keep their little bundle of joy dry and happy.
It did give me pause to think of the families that struggle to be able to pay for diapers. Working at United Way Fox Cities, I have access to lots of statistics. And, because we have the Fox Cities Diaper Bank as one of our initiatives, I know that one in every three families is struggling to provide diapers for their babies. That number is nationwide, but it also holds true here in the Fox Cities.
Right now, we are in the middle of “Diaper Need Awareness Week.” Here are some diaper facts:
- Diapers cannot be obtained with food stamps.
- Disposable diapers cost $70 to $100 per month per baby.
- No state or federal child safety-net program allocates dollars specifically for the purchase of diapers.
- Infants require up to 12 diapers per day, toddlers about 8.
- Babies who remain too long in a soiled diaper are exposed to potential health risks.
- Most childcare centers, even free and subsidized facilities require parents to provide a day’s supply of disposable diapers.
Clean diapers are a basic need for every child. United Way Fox Cities is working in partnership with Post-Crescent Media to raise awareness of diaper need. If you would like to support the Fox Cities Diaper Bank, you can drop off diaper donations at our office at 1455 Midway Road in Menasha. If you would prefer to give a monetary donation, you can visit our website: www.unitedwayfoxcities.org.
Kimberly-Clark Corporation donated 250,000 diapers to United Ways in the Fox Cities, Oshkosh, and Green Bay this week. We thank them for their efforts and commitment to keeping our babies dry and healthy.