- What is United Way Fox Cities' mission?
- What exactly does United Way Fox Cities do?
- Are all United Ways the same?
- What is Community Impact?
- Who runs United Way Fox Cities?
- Does United Way Fox Cities belong to United Way Worldwide?
- What are the benefits of belonging to United Way Worldwide?
- Does United Way Fox Cities pay dues to United Way Worldwide? If so, how much does United Way Fox Cities pay to be a member of United Way Worldwide?
- What measures does United Way Fox Cities have in place to control costs?
- What is the service area of United Way Fox Cities?
- How can I get involved with United Way Fox Cities as a volunteer?
- How is the Campaign Goal determined?
- Who runs the campaign?
- How can my company participate in the annual campaign?
- How does an agency become a United Way Fox Cities partner agency?
- Who determines how much money an agency receives?
- When United Way Fox Cities funds an agency, is that 100% of that agency's budget?
- Why should I give to United Way Fox Cities?
- Why should I give to United Way rather than directly to my favorite agency?
- How much of my contribution actually reaches the programs supported by United Way Fox Cities?
- Can I designate my contribution?
- When I designate my dollars to a specific non-United Way Fox Cities agency or non-profit organization, does United Way Fox Cities charge an administration fee?
- When I designate my dollars, do the agencies really get that money? Is the agency informed of my contribution?
- Does my money stay in our community?
- Is my contribution paying for expensive brochures, videos, website, etc.?
- Does United Way Fox Cities fund Planned Parenthood?
- Does United Way Fox Cities accept donations other than money?
About United Way
What exactly does United Way Fox Cities do?
United Way Fox Cities is committed to improving lives in our community. Through our Impact Areas we provide for people's basic needs, strengthen families, develop children and youth and promote health and healing. We identify issues, develop partnerships, implement solutions and measure results. Our goal is to create long-lasting changes by addressing the underlying causes of problems.
United Way also provides the following community service programs:
- United Way 2-1-1 provides an easy to remember phone number that connects residents with health and human service needs. 2-1-1 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Youth Board - student representatives from local high schools learn about community needs and services available, develop leadership skills, and allocate money to youth-related programs through their grants program.
- AFL-CIO Liaison - United Way Fox Cities supports an AFL-CIO approved community services program.
- Emergency Food & Shelter Grants - United Way distributes Emergency Food & Shelter grants to Calumet, Outagamie, and Winnebago counties.
- Community Assessment - LIFE in the Fox Cities (Leading Indicators for Excellence): is a community needs assessment conducted to determine this community's present and future health and human service needs. The LIFE Study enables people who care about the community to understand and keep the Fox Cities on the leading edge of excellence into the future. The full study is available at www.foxcitieslifestudy.org.
Are all United Ways the same?
There are approximately 1,285 United Way organizations across the country that exist in their respective cities and towns to build community partnerships and leverage resources to create plans for long lasting community change. Though United Ways share a logo and have similar missions, each United Way organization is independently incorporated and is lead by local staff and volunteers. The work of each United Way is determined by its community's needs.
What is Community Impact?
United Way is working in collaboration with our community partners to eliminate the underlying cause of serious problems. We want to create lasting change that will improve lives. We are doing that through our impact areas:
- Providing Basic Needs and Self-Sufficiency
- Developing Children and Youth
- Strengthening Families
- Promoting Health, Healing, and Crisis Intervention
We measure the results of our program with proven outcomes that match our community's needs.
Who runs United Way Fox Cities?
United Way Fox Cities is governed by a local Board of Directors that consists of community volunteers who set strategy and oversee the operations of United Way Fox Cities. There is paid staff to manage United Way on a daily basis.
Does United Way Fox Cities belong to United Way Worldwide?
United Way Fox Cities is a member of United Way Worldwide, but we are a separate, independent and locally operated organization. The mission of United Way Worldwide is to support and serve local United Ways.
What are the benefits of belonging to United Way Worldwide?
United Way Worldwide provides valuable services to help local United Ways. Examples of some benefits include the following: NFL advertising, personnel administration, training programs, customized account management from Fortune 500 companies, use of the United Way logo, and FEMA funding.
Does United Way Fox Cities pay dues to United Way Worldwide? If so, how much does United Way Fox Cities pay to be a member of United Way Worldwide?
Our membership dues are 1% of the total campaign in our local area. The money is returned to the community in multiple ways. As a member of United Way Worldwide, we distribute funds to Emergency Food and Shelter programs in Winnebago, Outagamie and Calumet counties. United Way Worldwide also provides training and support to United Way Fox Cities staff.
What measures does United Way Fox Cities have in place to control costs?
The Finance Committee, made up of members from our volunteer Board of Directors, meets regularly to review expenses, budgets, and financial statements. On a monthly basis the Board of Directors reviews financial statements for the organization.
How can I get involved with United Way Fox Cities as a volunteer?
United Way has several volunteer opportunities, such as campaign, community impact, board member, etc. United Way can also put you in touch with numerous agencies that have volunteer opportunities. Call the United Way Fox Cities office at 954-7210 for more details.
How is the Campaign Goal determined?
United Way Fox Cities has what is called a 'needs based' campaign goal because it is driven by the dollar amount needed to fund partner agencies' programs. Programs are funded on a two-year cycle. In the spring of 2015 the community impact volunteers reviewed agency programs and budgets for 2016 and 2017. Volunteer funding recommendations were approved by the United Way Fox Cities Board of Directors in May. The proposed program investment assists in establishing the campaign goal for the fall community-wide campaign.
Who runs the campaign?
The campaign is a community effort, led by our Campaign Co-Chairs and campaign committees. Hundreds of others volunteer time at local companies to assist with workplace campiagn that support United Way Fox Cities. To become a campaign volunteer, contact the United Way Fox Cities office at 954-7210.
How can my company participate in the annual campaign?
The Campaign Department at United Way can help your company determine a fundraising goal, aid in the implementation of the campaign, help set up your campaign kick-off event, and answer questions with the pledge processing. If your company would like to participate in the next community-wide fundraising campaign, please call the United Way Fox Cities' office at 954-7210.
About Community Services
How does an agency become a United Way Fox Cities partner agency?
United Way accepts applications from local health and human service agencies, at designated times. To qualify as a United Way partner the program must address critical community needs and align with the vision and priorities of a United Way impact area. The agency must be a licensed not-for-profit 501(c)(3) agency serving people of Outagamie, northern Winnebago and northern Calumet counties. To learn more about the admission process and receive application materials, contact United Way Fox Cities' staff at 954-7210.
Return to top menu
Who determines how much money an agency receives?
Community volunteers from United Way Fox Cities' four impact areas (Developing Children and Youth, Strengthening Families, Promoting Health, Healing, and Crisis Intervention, and Providing Basic Needs and Self-Sufficiency) make funding decisions. Over 100 volunteers participate in the decision making process. For more information, please contact United Way Fox Cities' staff at 954-7210.
When United Way Fox Cities funds an agency, is that 100% of that agency's budget?
No, United Way Fox Cities funds specific programs within an agency based on identified needs in the community. United Way Fox Cities funds 5-90% of our partner agencies' programs.
Why should I give to United Way Fox Cities?
Charitable giving is a personal and voluntary decision and United Way Fox Cities encourages you to do what is most comfortable for you. An investment in United Way Fox Cities benefits the entire community, not just one program, issue, or population.
Why should I give to United Way rather than directly to my favorite agency?
An investment in United Way Fox Cities supports over 100 results-oriented local programs and services that are addressing the community's most pressing needs. If everyone designated their donation to their "favorite" agency, many services would not be available in the community.
How much of my contribution actually reaches the programs supported by United Way Fox Cities?
Nearly 87 cents of each dollar contributed to United Way Fox Cities goes directly to local programs and services - far more efficient than most other non-profit organizations, both locally and nationally.
Can I designate my contribution?
Though you have the opportunity to designate your contribution to any 501(c)(3) health and human service organization, including other United Ways, please consider giving all or part of your contribution to the Community Fund. Donor designations make it increasingly difficult for United Way Fox Cities to ensure that the most critical community needs are receiving adequate support. To designate your gift, you must write the name of the agency and/or community on the pledge form. If a United Way, United Fund, or Community Chest cannot be located in that community, your contribution will be sent to the United Way closest to that community.
When I designate my dollars to a specific non-United Way Fox Cities agency or non-profit organization, does United Way Fox Cities charge an administration fee?
United Way Fox Cities complies with United Way Worldwide Membership Standard M which outlines the requirements for uniform deduction of Fundraising and Management & General expenses from designated donor pledges.
The overall purpose of Standard M is to assure the public that:
- Donors are charged no more than the actual cost incurred to process and transfer designated gifts.
There are no duplicative charges or redundant services assessed to the donor.
- All United Ways have a consistent, fair and understandable methodology for calculating and recovering fundraising, processing and management and general expenses on designated donations.
- For the 2016 Campaign, the deduction to cover fundraising, processing and management and general expenses is 14.15% which represented a 3 year average.
When I designate my dollars, do the agencies really get that money? Is the agency informed of my contribution?
United Way Fox Cities allocates funds to partner agencies' programs through a volunteer review process. In 2015, approximately 100 local volunteers based program investments on community needs. Your designated contribution will go specifically to the 501(c)(3) health and human service organization/other United Way you designate on your pledge card. It will not increase the agency's funding unless the total of all designated gifts exceeds the amount recommended by the volunteers. According to Membership Standard M, all agencies are notified of designation by February 28th of the year following the campaign. Cash designation payments will be sent to agencies no later than February 28th. Payroll deduction pledges will be sent on a quarterly basis.
Is my contribution paying for expensive brochures, videos, website, etc.?
A part of the cost of running a campaign includes marketing/operations expenses, but a large portion of the printing, paper and production is donated by local businesses. Administrative overhead includes all costs relative to campaign and operating the organization.
United Way Fox Cities does not fund Planned Parenthood. United Way does fund agencies, that as a part of their services, offer counseling to people involved in unplanned pregnancies. These agencies include Catholic Charities, Lutheran Social Services, Family Services of NEW, Youth Go, Boys & Girls Clubs Fox Valley, Reach Counseling Services and Sexual Assault Crisis Center.
Does United Way Fox Cities accept donations other than money?
Yes. We accept gifts of supplies, equipment or services that we distribute to United Way partner agencies. We call these 'in-kind gifts'. We also accept gifts of stocks, bonds and life insurance. If you would like more information or have an item to donate, please contact the United Way Fox Cities' office at 954-7210.